§2 ch4: Investigation Response
4.1.14 Notifications for Investigation Dispositions
CS-21 Investigation Disposition Form Letter
- Send CS-21 to parents, non-custodial parents (when address is known), alleged perpetrators, and Guardians ad Litem (including Court Appointed Special Advocate) within fifteen (15) calendar days of status determination. For any report that is substantiated by Preponderance of Evidence (POE), staff shall mail the CS-21 to the alleged perpetrator by certified mail. By using certified mail to send the notification forms to substantiated perpetrators, it will require the recipient’s signature, verifying he/she received the notification of the substantiated finding as well as their appeal rights.
- The CS-21 will include the determination of the investigation as well as the basis for the determination.
- The CS-21 is sent to the alleged perpetrator’s parents when he/she is a non-emancipated minor. For any substantiated report, the CS-21 and must be sent by certified mail.
- Document who/when the CS-21 was mailed to on the CPS-1.
- County staff shall inform the Residential Program Unit (RPU) when there is a "Preponderance of Evidence" finding which involves an employee and a child outside the facility in which the individual is employed, by sending a copy of the CS-21 to that unit. The name of the facility should be noted (handwritten on the CS-21 or on cover memo). The Residential Program Unit will use this information to determine if there are safety issues for children in the facility.
CS-21B Reporter Disposition Notification Letter
This form letter is completed by the Children's Service Worker and sent to:
- All mandated reporters, whose call to CANHU, resulted in a CA/N report.
- All other reporters, who were not anonymous, whose call resulted in a CA/N report, and who have requested in writing to the local office disposition information.
CD-21C First Steps Cover Letter
Local staff are now required to make a referral to the local Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) First Steps Program in all instances that a “Preponderance of Evidence” determination is made regarding a victim less than three (3) years old.
The CD-21C (First Steps Cover Letter) with attached Missouri First Steps Early Intervention System Referral Form shall be used for this purpose, and distributed as follows:
- The originals are sent to DESE First Steps local agency, which can be located at: First Steps Contact Information page
- A copy is sent to the custodial parent (and/or a copy sent to the resource provider if applicable); and
- A copy is retained in the investigation record.
The CD-21C and attachment shall be mailed within fifteen (15) calendar days of status determination.
NOTE: For any victim who is in the custody of the Children’s Division, staff shall identify the resource provider as a surrogate parent and include such name and contact information within the “Family Information” section of the Missouri First Steps Early Intervention System Referral Form.
NOTE: Tracking of disclosures should occur pursuant to Child Welfare Manual Section 5, Chapter 2.7, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
The non-custodial parent shall receive notification of the disposition of the investigation with the sending of a CS-21.
Chapter Memoranda History: (prior to 1/31/07)